By using this website you agree with the following terms and conditions, in compliance with the applicable Data Protection Legislation, meaning Regulation 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of Personal Data and on the free movement of such data ("the GDPR"), as well as any applicable legislation and/or regulation implementing or created pursuant to the GDPR and the e-Privacy legislation, or which amends, replaces, re-enacts or consolidates any of them.
SolvaySchoolsAlumni is a non-profit organization (asbl/vzw) gathering all graduates from Solvay Business School VUB, Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management ULB, further called "the association". The graduates must have obtained a diploma or certificate from one of following Schools: Solvay Business School VUB or Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management ULB, Solvay Executive Education asbl, Solvay Entrepreneurs asbl, or have been invited to become members by the association, further called "the alumni" or "you".
For the purpose of this policy, the following terms shall be understood as follows:
- Controller: The natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of Personal Data; where the purposes and means of such processing are determined by Union or Member State law, the controller or the specific criteria for its nomination may be provided for by Union or Member State law.
- Processor: A natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which processes Personal Data on behalf of the controller.
- Recipient: A natural or legal person, public authority, agency or another body, to which the Personal Data are disclosed, whether a Third Party or not.
- Third Party: A natural or legal person, public authority, agency or body other than the data subject, controller, Processor and persons who, under the direct authority of the controller or processor, are authorised to process Personal Data, including cloud services providers and online platforms to send marketing emails.
- Supervisory Authority: An independent public authority which is established by a Member State pursuant to Article 51” of the GDPR.
- Personal Data: Any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ("Data Subject"). An identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person.
- Processing: Any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organisation, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
Service declaration (purposes of processing)
The association is at the service of the alumni and collects personal information of alumni (see above) from the alumni and from the above-mentioned schools for the above mentioned purposes. When referring to the contractual relationship with the association, this covers: informative and educational purposes, invitations to alumni activities, school offers, institutional communication of the Schools; Networking, keeping bonds between the alumni and their schools, between the alumni themselves, institutional communication of the Schools and the Universities.
The alumni personal profile
Your personal data are collected in a profile which you have the right to consult, edit and delete:
- For consulting and editing the personal profile the alumni use their personal access codes to connect to the association's website.
- To delete a profile, an email has to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the specific and reasonable request to permanently delete one's profile and a copy of the ID card relative to the profile.
From September till December each new graduate receives a welcome email with his/her personal access codes to connect to the website: www.solvayschoolsalumni.net
The Solvay Alumni Directory
The Directory is a data collection including the following information: Name, first name, postal address, electronic address, year of graduation and diploma, company, function, company contact details.
The directory can be consulted by the alumni by two means: online after connecting to the website or in the print version which is distributed to the members of the association.
The alumni can specify in their profile if their personal data can be published in the Directory and therefore be visible to other alumni.
Is your personal data used for direct marketing communications?
For the performance of the contract the association has with you or if you have explicitly consented, the association may, from time to time, contact you with information about our network, events, news and activities, or (when in accordance with the association's legitimate interests and/or to the extent you gave consent) allow the above-mentioned schools, sponsors and other partners to contact you for the same purposes or for direct marketing communications.
If you no longer want to receive such communications:
- You have the right to specify communication preferences in your profile in order for the association to tailor its communication.
- You can also unsubscribe from our newsletters or email announcements by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails sent to you.
What are your rights?
Once you have provided your Personal Data, the Data Protection Legislation grants you several rights, which you can in principle exercise free of charge, subject to statutory exceptions. These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal Personal Data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping. To exercise any of your rights, you can file a request to Solvay Schools Alumni asbl/vzw by sending an email to email@example.com.
Should you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a Supervisory Authority where you live or where you believe a breach may have occurred. We encourage you to come to us in the first instance but, to the extent that this right applies to you, you are entitled to complain directly to the relevant Supervisory Authority.
1. Right to withdraw consent: Wherever we rely on your consent, you will be able to withdraw that consent at any time you choose and at your own initiative. The withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of the collection and processing of your data based on your consent up until the moment where you withdraw your consent.
4. Right to restriction of processing: Under certain circumstances described in the Data Protection Legislation, you may ask us to restrict the processing of your Personal Data. This is for example the case when you contest the accuracy of your Personal Data. In such event, we will restrict the processing until we can verify the accuracy of your data.
5. Right to object to processing: Under certain circumstances described in the Data Protection Legislation, you may object to the processing of your Personal Data, including where your Personal Data is processed for direct marketing purposes.
6. Right to data portability: Where you have provided your data directly to us and where the processing is carried out by automated means and based on your consent or the performance of a contract between you and us, you have the right to receive the Personal Data processed about you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, and to transmit this data to another service provider.
The association is committed to the protection of the alumni personal data and continuously reviews its IT system and data to ensure the best service to its alumni. Appropriate technical and organisational measures are implemented in order to ensure an appropriate level of security of your Personal Data, including but not limited to encryption techniques, physical and IT system access controls, obligations of confidentiality, etc. The personal access codes are considered confidential and therefore encrypted with the Vernum Cipher method.
In the event personal information is compromised as a result of a Personal Data breach and where such breach is likely to result in a high risk to the rights and freedoms, we will make the necessary notifications, as required under the Data Protection Legislation.
How is your Personal Data shared with Third Parties?
We only share or disclose information with Third Parties as described herein. Your Personal Data will also be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of the Controller(s) legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
Is your Personal Data transferred outside the EEA?
For the purposes described in this policy, your personal data may be transferred outside the EEA, notably to countries that do not provide an ‘adequate’ level of data protection. However, when such a transfer happens, we ensure that it takes place in accordance with this Policy and that the necessary safeguards are put in place, ensuring that the transfer is (i) either regulated by Standard Contractual Clauses approved by the European Commission as ensuring an adequate protection or (ii) done to an organisation that complies with the EU-US and Swiss-US Privacy Shield Framework as implemented by the U.S. Department of Commerce in case the transfer is made to the United States of America.
How long will we keep your Personal Data?
To determine the appropriate retention period for the information we collect from you, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the Personal Data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the data, the purposes for which we process the Personal Data, and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
The association is not responsible for the acts of third parties and their consequences on the use of personal data that is published in the Directory.
What happens if we make changes to this Policy?
Any picture uploaded by a user of this site remains the property of said user. The association claims no right on any picture uploaded by a third part, and holds no responsibility for the upload, by a third party, of a picture without the authorization of its rightful owner. The association will make no use of any picture uploaded by a third party without the explicit, formal authorization of its rightful owner.
The association cannot be held responsible for any inappropriate content or wrong information published on this site by others. Would you find any wrong information, inappropriate content or any illegal reproduction of any material (photos, videos, texts, articles from the press, other), please contact immediately our office: By email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail: Solvay Schools Alumni asbl/vzw Avenue F.D. Rooseveltlaan 50 CP 141 1050 Brussels BELGIUM Identification Number/VAT: BE0409.448.777